Director of Accounting & Human Resources
The Director of Accounting & HR will work under the direction of the Lead Pastor & Chief Operations Officer to lead our Accounting & HR departments. This person will assume responsibility for all financial procedures & records, personnel records & policies, maintain payroll processes, & ensure compliance with local & governmental policies regarding non-profit organizations.
This position will be scheduled to work full-time at the South Campus.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide oversight to the Accounting Department
- a. Supervise & review work performed in the areas of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, & Fixed Asset daily operations
- b. Lead weekly accounting team meetings
- c. Review & approve monthly cash reconciliations & financial reports
- d. Support & review of weekly giving reports for Pastors
- e. Creation and/or execution of JRC accounting policies
- 2. Tracking & financial reporting of special projects
- 3. Oversee budgets
- a. Work with departments to develop & monitor budgets
- b. Support department leaders through regularly scheduled budget meetings
- c. Work directly with church event leaders
- d. Review new hire requests for budget approval
- 4. Internal audit
- a. Oversight of the internal audit process
- b. Delegate audit responsibilities to the accounting team
- Provide oversight to HR Department
- Lead weekly HR team meetings
- Oversee policy development, documentation, & maintenance
- Provide oversight to employee benefits & retirement maintenance
- a. Work with management to plan & develop long term strategies for managing employee benefit programs
- b. Plan & coordinate annual open enrollment
- c. Work with HR team & broker to submit monthly new enrollments, terminations, & personnel changes to benefit providers
- d. Implement & coordinate staff Wellness program
- – Process quarterly wellness bonuses & communicate receipt of bonus to eligible employees
- 5. Maintain & oversee the payroll process
- a. Bi-weekly payroll approval
- b. Communication with COO, supervisors, & employees regarding issues or discrepancies as needed
- 6. Support supervisors for any coaching or termination meetings
- 7. Assist in exit interview process
- 8. Support departments in developing or updating job descriptions
- 9. Provide guidance as needed for employee background screenings
- 10. Maintain Cost of Health, FMLA & ACA guidelines, regulations, & report as necessary
- Work closely with Security to oversee church risk management
- Manage church liability insurance
- a. Monitor insurance budget
- b. Manage insurance claims
- c. Maintain insurance policies
- 3. Process worker’s compensation claims & communicate with insurance
- Process Accounting & HR department invoices
- Ensure annual notices are properly communicated to staff
- Oversee employee orientations
- Oversee general calendar & data entry for Accounting & HR departments
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities & experience & be able to explain & demonstrate that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Human Resources, payroll, benefits, & accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of basic legal & medical terminology, methods & procedures, principles & practices of organization, administration, budget & management.
- Knowledge & skill in supervisory & managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in gathering & analyzing complex information.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills.
- Exhibit confidentiality at all times.
- PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Publisher, & Word).
- Capacity to interact positively with and provide service to others at all levels within JRC.
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while meeting critical deadlines.
- Exhibit a spirit of unity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Human Resources degree and/or SHRM certification a plus
- 5 years’ experience in accounting, budgeting, & financial analysis
- 3 years’ experience in Human Resources management & payroll processes required
- 5 years’ experience leading & managing a team or department
- Experience with HRIS, Blackbaud, & Employee Navigator a plus
Code of Conduct & Character
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.