Life Groups Pastor (South)
Department: Adult Ministries
The South Campus Life Groups Pastor at James River Church will function as an assistant to the Director of Adult Ministries by providing oversight of selected ministries, as well as working to maintain a team spirit among the other pastors serving on the James River Church staff.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist in the oversight of Life Group leaders.
- Periodically meet one-on-one with Life Group leaders to evaluate the status of their groups and provide encouragement and direction for them.
- Be available to meet with leaders who are dealing with particular situations in their Life Group that need attention.
- Work with other departments (Counseling, Community Care, etc.) to ensure members of Life Groups who are experiencing difficulties can receive the necessary attention.
- Ensure leaders understand and maintain the JRC Life Groups philosophy.
- Assist in the planning and the execution of the Life Group Leaders Conference as deemed necessary by the Director of Adult Ministries.
- Plan and implement each Life Group Sign Up event.
- Coordinate with the Director of Adult Ministries for the dates of Life Group Sign Up.
- Recruit volunteers to assist at Life Group Sign Up.
- Develop a plan to promote Life Group Sign Up.
- Develop and implement a process to inform people about Life Group Sign Up in the weeks leading up to the event.
- Help place group seekers who did not get connected in groups during the weeks following Life Group Sign Up.
- Life Groups
- Monitor online attendance of all groups.
- Oversee changes to group rosters.
- Oversee new prospects.
- Create a monthly attendance report.
- Monitor the groups that do not meet regularly and follow up as needed.
- Determine ways to replenish groups that are low in number.
- Recruit Life Group leaders.
- Coordinate with the Director of Adult Ministries and West Campus Life Groups Pastor for any suggestions of potential leaders, whether through personal relationship or multiplication.
- Recruit leaders with the intention of launching new groups at strategic times (e.g. September, January, etc.).
- Contact and meet with potential leaders.
- Work with the Director of Adult Ministries and Creative Services to recruit leaders through promotion (e.g. video announcements).
- Coordinate new leader trainings.
- Oversee new leader training.
- Develop materials for the orientation of new leaders.
- Lead new leaders through the orientation process.
- Oversight of each JR campus new Life Group leaders orientation.
- Ensure new leaders are equipped to start a group.
- Write the weekly sermon discussion curriculum for Life Groups to utilize.
- Stronger Men’s Conference: Assist the Director of Adult Ministries in the planning and execution of the annual James River Men’s Conference.
- Men’s Bible Studies: Assist in the planning and coordination of the Men’s Bible Studies at each campus.
- Help in the development and monitoring of the budgets in each of the above-mentioned areas.
- Assist the Director of Adult Ministries in various office duties as deemed necessary for the day-to-day operations of the office.
- Manage the Life Groups calendar and supporting schedules.
- Lead and/or attend various leadership meetings as assigned.
- Periodic hospital visitation
- Periodic bereavement visitation
- Bi-weekly Monday night cookie visits to new attendees
- Attend all church special activities and projects as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor or Director of Adult Ministries.
- Provide written ministry and departmental reports as requested by the Lead Pastor or Director of Adult Ministries.
- Complete performance reviews.
- Assist the Life Groups office in any other office or ministerial duties as deemed necessary by the Director of Adult Ministries.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- Sunday: 7:30 -3:00pm
- Monday – Wednesday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Thursday: Off
- Friday: 9:00 – 5:00pm
- Saturday: When necessary (i.e. Project Partnership, conferences, Easter, Christmas)
- Pastor on Floor (POF) & Pastor on Call) POC calls 1-2 times a month
Code of Conduct & Character
- James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.