Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources & Payroll, the Payroll & Benefits Specialist will be responsible for processing of bi-weekly payroll as well as assisting employees with benefit enrollment, ensuring all enrollments with carriers are timely, accurate and complete. This position will use independent thinking to research, plan & organize changes to the payroll process and benefit plans that remain in compliance with current law & regulations while maintaining a high degree of confidentiality, efficiency & accuracy. This position will assist in other various duties as assigned by the director to further advance the ministry.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties:
- Process bi-weekly payroll in accordance with board policy, administrative practices, & current laws & regulations
- Complete extensive comparison process using Excel to ensure accuracy of payroll
- Work with HR Director to receive information regarding new & terminated staff
- Process bonuses upon request & communicate transfer amount to Accounting Director
- Communicate with employees, supervisors & director on matters relating to payment processing and resolving discrepancies
- Create benefit submission and reconciliation report for Accounting Department with each payroll
- Responsible for oversight and operation of payroll system (currently Paychex Flex)
- Assist accounting w/month-end & year-end closing including monthly payroll liability reconciliations and the preparations of various reports for the annual audit
- Create & distribute payroll reports (to include leadership reports, overtime tracking, others as requested)
- Facilitate benefit orientation with new hires
- Process enrollment of employee elections with carriers
- Manage monthly ACA review of hours and file annual ACA reports
- Responsible for tracking of HSA liabilities for unopened accounts
- Fund bi-weekly payments for benefits
- Record Cost of Health in payroll system for year-end W2 reporting
HR Office/Departmental Duties
- Research & apply HR & payroll related regulations as requested & needed
- Maintain payroll & benefit files for current & prior employees
- Complete Verification of Employment requests
- Assist in general office duties
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by director
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong Excel skills for analytical purposes – knowledge of pivot tables, lookup formulas, etc.
- Must have strong analytical/reconciliation skills
- Knowledge of modern office methods & procedures, filing, telephone techniques & office equipment including 10-key calculator
- Capacity to interact positively with and provide service to others at all levels within JRC
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while managing priorities, remaining organized and meeting critical deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and written
- Must be pleasant and tactful with professional appearance and conduct
- Exhibit confidentiality and professionalism at all times
- Exhibit good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and punctuality through the utilization of professional work standards
Training & Experience:
- Minimum two (2) years of accounting and payroll experience
- Associates degree in Accounting related field required
- Experience with Paychex Flex a plus
Code of Conduct & Character:
James River Church is Pastor-led and staff driven with board oversight. JRC staff are considered leaders and ministers of the gospel and therefore agree to the following:
- Develop and maintain a close personal walk with the Lord including:
- Daily devotional time with Lord.
- Daily dependence on the empowerment of the Spirit.
- Develop a strong marriage and family life. This includes:
- Communicating and sharing with your spouse.
- Spending time together on days off and when extra time is available.
- Keep personal finances in order with no delinquencies.
- Attend all regularly scheduled services in the church. Special services and functions will be required as deemed necessary by the Lead Pastor.
- Maintain a high level of personal integrity, honesty and confidentiality in dealing both with the staff and congregation.
- Maintain a Christian outlook and attitude at all times.
- Maintain loyalty to the staff and church, actively promoting unity within the church.
Commitment to Ministry
By submitting my application for this position, I confirm I have read and accept the above Job Description/Code of Conduct and believe God has called me to serve in this capacity.